According to Verizon Connect, 61% of field services organizations say the biggest benefit of automation is the ability to automatically update records after capturing customer information. But if you aren’t harnessing that functionality to automate your billing process, you are missing out on one of the biggest efficiencies that field services management apps can provide. Here’s how automation can improve your billing process and your employee satisfaction at the same time.
Normal Billing Process Steps
What is a billing process? The billing process is the steps you take to determine who needs to be billed, and for what. Here are the steps in a traditional manual billing process for field services:
- Define who needs to be billed based on different customer types. Some customers might still be under warranty. For commercial field services, work might be performed at a job site, but the invoice needs to be billed to a different cost center or corporate accounts payable department.
- Calculate the charges based on the services rendered and the materials used. When billing is done manually, this means referring to the records kept by the technician to determine the time they spend on the job and what parts or supplies they used
- Send the invoice to the appropriate party. Sometimes, all this work is completed manually on-site by the technician, including giving the customer a paper copy of the invoice.
- Track if payment is received via check or credit card. This might mean the customer can pay via credit card when the technician is on-site, or they may have to call the office.
- Apply payment or follow up to get the amount owed. This step can create some of the greatest inefficiency and hiccups in the customer experience as they wait for card payments to be manually processed.
How Can I Improve My Billing Process?
Improving the field services billing process requires moving from manual processes to digital billing processes at key points during several of these steps.
- Automated invoicing: Automatic billing for field services starts when the field services management app automatically generates the invoice. This is supported by the app’s integration with work orders. Everything a technician documents about the job is translated into the invoice with the relevant coupons or warranty information from the customer’s profile applied.
- Digital payment portal: Once the customer receives the invoice, the billing process is further improved with a digital payment portal. This allows the customer to log in and pay in real time, and for their account to be debited the necessary amount in real-time. This cuts down on the administrative time spent manually processing credit card information and matching the payments to the correct customer account.
- Streamlined collections process: The field services billing process can also be improved through automatic reminders and past-due notices for customers who haven’t yet paid the invoice. This not only improves cash flow but also the employee experience when they don’t have to manually follow up with customers.
Get an All-In-One Field Services Management App Tailored to Your Business
Circle City Software Solutions stands by the Acumatica platform as the best enterprise resource management tool on the market today. One satisfied company got back five hours a day that was being spent on order processing and invoicing. In the competitive field services industry, that kind of edge cannot be taken for granted. Acumatica integrates work orders, scheduling, client service history, real-time inventory tracking, GPS fleet tracking, and billing to provide a one-stop resource for every employee on both the technical and administrative sides of your business. We know this solution can drive growth and improve operations at your business. Contact us today to schedule a demo and learn how this product can be custom-configured to meet your needs in a matter of weeks.